Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow

I love that line. It's from "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," at least the version in the musical "Meet Me in St. Louis." That line makes the song. Sinatra completely ruined it with his "shining star" line.

Anyway, that song's in my head. Scott Weiland (of Stone Temple Pilots) apparently sung it on TV in 2009 and decided to put out a Christmas album after that. That'll be an interesting album to hear.

Tonight, I'm joining a bowling league. There's a men's bowling league that somewhat serious - prizes at end of year, guys with 200+ averages - and the top team needs another player. Since Margie can't bowl in a league after all, I was going to join the Lousy Bowlers league on my own, but Dave at the alley talked me into at least trying this league for a night. So we'll see. My biggest concern is not getting proper warm-up time, along with how well I fit in with the other guys on the team and, of course, that I don't crap all over the lane and bowl a 72 or something of that level.

I am a genius today, even though I didn't study any math, which I've done doing nicely the last week or so. Nope, I'm a genius because our Xbox 360 got to the "red circle of death" last night, and instead of buying a new one or sending it out to get it fixed, I fixed it myself.

At first, I used the original screws to hold the heat sinks in place but screwed them into closer holes. When I thought I had everything right, including putting fresh thermal compound on the chips, I was greeted by two flashing red buttons instead of the three originally seen last night. Sure enough, I should've used the shorter screws that I originally bought. I actually bent some metal from the heat sinks, but after careful straightening of the blades, I gave it another go and this time, it worked. The case doesn't look great from the back, as you'd need a special tool to open the case without damage, but it still holds together, and after doing the process several times, I feel like a real pro around that thing.

Apart from that, not a lot to report here. I've been depressed with a personal issue lately. It'll catch me when I'm not expecting it. Today, it was when I woke up, but Margie was there to comfort me. As long as I have her love, I can get through anything. I'll muddle through, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment