Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Other song choices

Okay, I went through the list and brainstormed a bit, and came up with the following song choices. These are songs I'd suggest to the band that we learn, with me on lead vocal (and drums, of course). Why? Because Digger suggested that I suggest songs other than "Valerie" by the Zutons, though I'm not exactly sure why.

1. "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden
2. "Drops of Jupiter" by Train
3. "Everybody Here Wants You" by Jeff Buckley
4. "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead
5. "Kayleigh" by Marillion
6. "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane
7. "Orca" by Wintersleep
8. "White Room" by Cream
9. "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" by Travis

These are in alphabetical order. Some are more highly desired than others. Here's a graph, outlining my feelings for each song, in comparison to how I think the rest of the band will feel about it. (Song 0 is "Valerie.")



As you can see, there's a negative correlation. What I like doesn't always match up to what the band likes. And this is only dealing with the songs I'm handpicking to offer the band. If I desperately wanted to cover something by Lynyrd Skynyrd or Journey, they'd be all over it. I also think that "From Both Sides Now" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, but I don't see that one getting the rest of Ted fired up.

It's not that I actually hate any of the above songs, such as the two to the left of the graph, but either my heart isn't into them anymore or I think I do a better job playing them solo.I'm sure the band would get into raving up "Baby One More Time," but please, no.

If I decide to offer up all of these songs to the band, I'm guessing they'll pick either "White Room" or "Black Hole Sun" first, then look at "Life is a Highway." Are those my favorite choices? Absolutely not. If I were going for broke, I'd choose "Orca" and "Everybody Here Wants You" to join "Valerie." I did "White Room" years ago with a couple of high schoolers, as part of the school's talent show, so I don't feel the need to do it anymore. Unless I played guitar on it, which we already tried. But John couldn't cut get the drum part right. Damnit, why didn't I choose to play guitar when I had the chance?

If I want "Valerie" to be the choice, I have to choose two other songs that fall below it on the list. No way they'd consider "Orca" and "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" for a second. Guess it has to be "Everybody Here Wants You" and "Fake Plastic Trees," neither of which are danceable in the least. (We're not a dance band, but Digger and Paulito get overly excited when anyone steps on the floor, as if that's our big measure of success.)

No comments:

Post a Comment