Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Song pushing

Digger told me that insisting the band learn one particular song - or else - is not a good idea. Does that mean that the band thinks that little about me? I'm very very tired of never getting any song choices. To prove my point, I asked him to name a song of my request that I sing since Eileen joined the band, a little less than two years ago. He could not come up with one, because there hasn't been one. ("Jenny" by Tommy Tutone could be, but I don't think that one was my idea, and if it was, it was only to keep me from singing "Jessie's Girl" every frickin' gig.)

So he suggested that I ask for three songs, and be happy with whatever gets picked. In other words, even though we do any song that members such as himself, Paulito and Eileen want to do, I don't get that opportunity. I have to offer up a choice of three. Do I put "Reptile," "No Time To Lose," "White Room," "The Way" and other choices of mine that went nowhere back in the mix?

The song I really want to do, else I'll consider leaving the band, is "Valerie" by the Zutons. It's certainly not a hard song. Four chords is all. There is a minor chord, but I'm sure John can figure it out. (He once commented on only wanting to play major chords, which prompted Eileen to start laughing at him.)

So I need two other songs, songs that I'd be overjoyed to do.

It's hard for me to imagine our band doing this one, but I'll suggest it anyway: "Orca" by Wintersleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e2e3QU4ft0

When I come up with a third, I'll post it here.

Update: Margie thinks that my suggestions don't get anywhere, simply because other members of the band don't recognize them. Are we really just a jukebox band? Is that what I want? And if I'm willing to stomach such a band, will I be able to come up with two other songs that I like as much as "Valerie"? I'll look through my solo songbook to see if any jump out at me.

There's "Veronica" by Elvis Costello, a favorite of mine. But I don't think a full band version would be any better than my solo version. It'd likely be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment