Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How to bowl well

I sure as heck don't have all of the answers, but a day after I bowled a 77 - no typo; I had no marks the whole game - as one of my six games, I went back to the alley and bowled a 520 series. 205-132-183. In the my first game, I had six strikes in the first seven frames. Missed some spares in the second game, but got on a roll the last game, picking up five in a row when I couldn't get a strike.

I had 13 strikes, nine spares and eight open frames. Of the three, the strikes being most abundant and the open frames being least isn't common. It never happens, actually.

So how? Two things. One, I abandoned the slide, planting my fifth step. I might back off from that, as Dave said that planting can lead to knee issues. Next time I bowl, I'll see how jarring the plant is.

Two, I changed my right-hand philosophy. Dave once did something with his hand but didn't expound on it, and I gave it a try with great results. I don't need to think about turning my wrist anymore; it comes naturally. But I think about holding the ball close to my inner forearm, with wrist curved inwards, and then right before I'm to turn my hand and release the ball, I straighten  out my wrist. Band it back away from my inner forearm. Doing that right before (or maybe during) the wrist turn and release had an awesome effect. It put a 45-degree revolution on the ball AND it angled the revolutions towards the pins. If you were VERY tall and watching the path of my ball from where I stand, it would appear as if the ball was turned clockwise on its axis a little bit.

This turn actually made the ball accelerate toward the pins, once it got to the drier spot of the lane (the last twenty feet).

And I was more accurate in hitting the pocket. Well, I still tend to curl my arm a bit, making the ball hit the left of the headpin. The other day, no matter what I did, the ball went for the 4-pin. Yesterday, when I missed, it usually hit the 1-2 pocket instead, and I was getting great pin action.

Anyway, remember. Curl your wrist inwards, then let it go just as your turning your wrist and delivering the ball. Not a tremendous amount of break, but that's likely due to the drilling of my ball.

I bowled that first game in all of seven minutes. Good thing I get a lot of free games out of my one-man league.

No comments:

Post a Comment