Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Truth, part 1

Soon I'll start to write about "truth," which used to have a clear and absolute definition. From what I'm seeing, the word is becoming more and more subjective, open to interpretation by those who want to find an easier passage through life and aren't happy with what's really going on around them.

I was a high school math teacher for seven years. The definition of "truth" from my students became further apart than my own. In short, they would lie and lie about the lie, and when presented with overwhelming evidence against their case, lie even more.

They equated "preference" with "reality." Whatever they wanted to believe, that is what they chose to believe.

No responsibility for their actions. No admittance to falsehoods or poorly-attempted deceit.

It got to the point that I realized not to bother with asking them for the truth, because I wouldn't get it. At least, I wouldn't get what I defined as "truth."

So sad.

And I'm the "out-liar." But only because "outlier" was already taken. But I like the portmanteau, as I do notice different realities for different people, especially in politics. And religion. And education. And everywhere else. And I like seeing how statistics describes the world. And though I don't like the feeling of an outsider, which is what I have been in most categories of mankind's self-categorization, being an outlier has an appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment