Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The king and the lover

Just taking a break from my studies, which are quite humbling, to discuss a concept given to me by my therapist. It is of the four archetypes of men: the king, the warrior, the magician and the lover. KWML, as it's often known. Carl Jung came up with it.

Each of the four archetypes symbolizes a great man, using his abilities to become a good and important member of society. However, each of them can go array, either becoming too weak or too aggressive, and they can fall into their shadow-types. An overaggressive king is a tyrant, for example. (Man, I wish I could find the desciption that I found on-line two weeks ago. It was fantastic.)

Anyway, I read each of them in order, seeing the occasional part of me in the king, the warrior, and the magician. But when I read the part about the lover, I cried, as I found the person I've always wanted to be. And then I read the other stuff and found that a person is supposed to have all four types within them.

I've wanted to be a great lover and nothing else. I've wanted to be unbalanced. I've wanted to be sad. Tom (my therapist) told me that lovers are always sad. Kings are always happy. Last time, he said that I needed "less love energy and more king energy" as I left.

Not that I know how to correct these things, or if they're correctable at all, but I think my ideal self should not be so. I need balance.

If only I had more time to pursue this now. Oh well. Once I get my exam over with in a week, I'll have the time then.

I will fail this test. There is little doubt in my mind. But I will still do as well as I can at this point. I've actually been fairly happy over the last couple of weeks, since I've had to study so much, I've had less time to get myself depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment