Monday, October 31, 2011

bad math, bad

It's embarrassing how little I know regarding MLC, which stands for "Models: Life Contingencies." It's what the third actuarial exam covers. The exam is in eight days and I'm so unprepared. This is terrible. I'm going over the big list of problems offered on the SOA's website, and it's as if I haven't studied at all, when in fact, I've studied for 150 hours or so.

When I studied for the last exam on Financial Math, I was more consistent with my daily studying. It was supposedly easier material. I had a good textbook to use. It's all bad for me with MLC. The book was impossible to read and about 1000 pages anyway, so I went with an on-line seminar, where the instructor often doesn't bother to explain things beforehand and makes lots of mistakes, a sign that he's only reading off a script and writing the stuff down.

Once again, I have no actual live person to help me. I'm competing against kids who took classes specifically designed to help them pass this test.

I spent 300 bucks just to take this train wreck next week, along with 100 for the bullshit book and 400 for the on-line seminar. At least the on-line seminar will be offered free to me for another try, once I fail this one. And fail I will. In order to pass, I'll need to get 20 out of 20 questions correct. Right now, I'll probably get five right, and since there are five choices for each problem, a monkey could do as well.

Now I'll have to decide if I should tell prospective employers that I'll be taking the MLC a second time since I failed it the first time.

Life is not very comfortable right now. At least I'll see my therapist tomorrow. If only it wasn't cutting into valuable study time.

No comments:

Post a Comment